- Cosmetology: Cosmetologists wash, cut, color, and style their client’s hair. They may recommend specific hair care treatments or advise clients on the best cut for their hair type or face shape.
- Barber school: Barbers typically cut and style hair for male clients. They may also shape, trim, and groom their client’s facial hair.
- Esthetics: Professional estheticians pamper their clients with skincare treatments, facials, brow shaping, lash tinting, makeup application, waxing, or laser hair removal.
- Instructor training: Cosmetology instructors use their experience and skills to train the next generation of cosmetologists. They teach students about cosmetology theory, anatomy, color chemistry, sanitation, styling techniques, and more.
- Nail technology: Nail technicians provide professional manicures and pedicures for clients, apply gel or acrylic nails, and design custom nail art.
Nathan Layne Institute of Cosmetology serves students in Chubbuck and Pocatello, Idaho, and the surrounding area.
Outlook for Barbering and Cosmetology Jobs
Barbering and cosmetology students can look forward to a strong and growing job market after graduation. According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment opportunities for cosmetologists and barbers are expected to grow by 19% between 2020 and 2030. This amounts to more than 85,000 job openings on average across the U.S. each year.
While the median hourly wage in this field can vary quite a bit by location, the highest 10% of barbers earned more than $25.60 an hour, and the top 10% of cosmetologists earned over $28.40 an hour. As cosmetologists and barbers become more experienced and build their customer base, they may earn higher tips.
Professionals in this industry often enjoy flexible schedules, especially if they are self-employed. Barbers and cosmetologists can work part-time or full-time and may need to work on evenings or weekends.
Networking and Job Placement Assistance
Nathan Layne Institute of Cosmetology has developed close relationships with a large network of salons, spas, barbers, and manufacturers across the industry. We connect students with experienced cosmetology professionals and global artists so you can build your network while you’re still in school. Coupled with your rigorous training and hands-on salon experience in the salon, you will graduate prepared to enter the workforce. Students who complete our cosmetology or barbering program can find work in:
- Spas, salons, and barbershops
- Television and film industry settings
- Hotels, resorts, and cruise ships
Our instructors and staff are always on the lookout for career opportunities in ID and beyond. Nathan Layne Institute of Cosmetology’s website is regularly updated with new job postings for recent graduates.
State Licensing Requirements
All states require barbers, hairstylists, and cosmetologists to be licensed. To help our students prepare for careers in cosmetology throughout the U.S., we provide information on state licensing requirements for instructors, cosmetologists, barbers, estheticians, and nail technologists in all 50 states. Our cosmetology school programs are designed to meet the training pre-requisites for licensing in the state of ID:
- Cosmetology: 1,600 hours
- Esthetics: 600 hours
- Nail technician: 400 hours
- Barber school: 900 hours
- Cosmetology instructor program: 500 or 1,000 hours (depending on prior work experience)
Financial Aid Resources and Disclosures
We recognize that to get to the next step in your dream career, you may need financial assistance. Nathan Layne Institute of Cosmetology offers financial aid packages to students who qualify. We also provide information about outside scholarships and assistance for military veterans and spouses.
Prospective students can learn more about our beauty school programs through our pre-enrollment disclosures, including data on:
- Program graduation rates
- Job placement rates
- State board exam pass/fail rates
Launch Your Career with Help from Nathan Layne Institute of Cosmetology
With the intense training and strong career services provided by Nathan Layne Institute of Cosmetology, you will graduate ready to pursue your dream career as a cosmetologist or barber. We welcome prospective students to tour our campus, get to know our programs, and meet our experienced instructors. To learn more about our programs in Chubbuck, ID, or to get started on the enrollment process, contact us today.